The Ocean Conservation Trust aims to help all public and communities, from tiny toddlers to adults, to nurture a love for the Ocean, to find out more about how it benefits their lives, and learn about how, if they Think Ocean a little more, they can make small changes to help protect it.
A growing body of evidence, combined with our 21 years of engaging people with the Ocean, has shown us that personal experiences and connectedness with nature are the foundation for lifelong support for conservation. With this in mind, all of our programmes are centred around encouraging positive interactions that foster a love for the Ocean and a desire to act positively for its future. This connection to the Ocean and a desire to act can then be strengthened by additional positive experiences and encounters with the Ocean.
As such, connecting us with our Ocean is at the forefront of our Public and Community Engagement programme. Our ever evolving programme is structured around our conservation pathway. The conservation pathway has been carefully designed to provide opportunites for people to connect with the Ocean through a wide range of initiatives. This ensures that there is something that appeals to everyone and does not rely on a ‘one size fits all’ approach.
Our highly-skilled Public and Community Engagement team are pivotal in providing our face to face engagement opportunities in a fun, experiential way that is meaningful to them. Sometimes, the issues facing our Ocean can be overwhelming, and taking a fun approach can help to inspire positivity and optimism and encourage people to Think Ocean a little more in their daily lives.
What does the team do?
- Host the experience at the UK’s largest aquarium (the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth)
- Deliver shows, workshops and hands on activities at events around the country
- Run beach outreach days, providing fun, interactive activities on beaches around the UK
- Inspire the next generation through fun community programmes for teenagers and toddlers
- Organise community beach cleans
- Run snorkelling and boat trips
- Work alongside global partners in projects and campaigns that advance Ocean literacy